Since its release 10 years ago, Instagram has only grown in popularity. There are around 1 billion active users on this platform, second in popularity to Facebook. More and more people are utilizing the marketing abilities of this platform.
It is currently widely regarded as the social media platform with the highest engagement. Why, exactly, is it such an engaging platform, and how is it helpful as a marketing tool?
Table of Contents
A Look at the Numbers
It isn’t easy to measure engagement. There are quite a few factors involved – your page visibility, post visibility, interactions with audience, and shareability. In plain words, it’s how well you connect to your audience. Research involving 2,500 social media users with quite a substantial number of engaged followers found that 6 out of 10 considered Instagram to be the best platform in terms of engagement. Facebook ranked second in this survey, with support from only 18%.
What makes Instagram such a great platform for engagement?
- Easy to use on mobile devices. With the growing amount of people browsing on mobile devices, Instagram is definitely a hit. It is a mobile-exclusive platform that allows you to take photos, edit, and post wherever you are. This is appealing to a lot of people. Plus, it’s very easy to use on a phone, thanks to features such as minimal posting options and endless scrolling.
- Visually appealing. Most people favor visual content over auditory or textual content. This is one of the many reasons why people love Instagram. It is aesthetically pleasing to the eyes, with a simple format and uniform grid pages.
- Freshness. Instagram is a lot more novel and fresh compared to other social media platforms such as Facebook and Twitter. It uses a simple layout and simple user functions to appeal to the younger generation of people. There is a certain energy that it has that other older platforms don’t.
- User-friendliness. There are features that Instagram provides that makes it incredibly easy to use. For example, people can share Instagram posts to Facebook when they upload. Posts on instagram are public (unless specified otherwise), but it isn’t just for one purpose, like LinkedIn is. Therefore, just about anyone can use Instagram for a wide range of purposes. The simple user interface makes it appealing to everyone.
How to Increase Engagement
If you’d like to increase your engagement on Instagram, give the following things a try:
- Use high-quality photos. You don’t necessarily need to attend photography courses or hire a professional photographer to be successful on Instagram. However, it would be a good idea to learn some fundamentals. The better your photos are, the more they will stand out on people’s Instagram feeds. The more they stand out, the more likely it is that people will engage with it. Remember to choose a good color scheme and make sure the subject of your photo is clear.
- Keep your posts light. Instagram isn’t the place for long blog posts or lengthy explanations. Keep it short and concise. That’s all you need to do on such a platform.
- Encourage people to do something. You could have thousands of followers on your Instagram page, but if it isn’t encouraging your audience to do something, what use is it? There should be encouragement for people to do something on each post. You could be encouraging them to purchase your product or asking them to take a survey. Either way, make a call to action a part of your posts.
- Make it worth their while. Reward your followers for sticking with you. You may want to do a giveaway, offer discounts on special occasions, or even allow them access to special content. A unique way to say thank you could even do.
People love Instagram, so we doubt it’ll be taking a backseat anytime in the foreseeable future. If your business isn’t on Instagram, it isn’t too late to join. You’ll be enjoying more online engagement in no time!